Oscilloscope, Waveform Generator, Spectrum Analyzer, Logic Analyzer, Pattern Generator.
David Kosenina and Dejan Priversek
Hardware: Released, license CERN Open Hardware Licence (CERN OHL)
Software: Released, license GNU General Public License (GPL) v3
Several instruments in one device
ScopeFun is a versatile device which provides several lab instruments in one: a Oscilloscope, Arbitrary Waveform Generator, Spectrum Analyzer, Logic Analyzer and Digital Pattern Generator.
The new hardware design is using Artix-7 FPGA for logic and FX3 SuperSpeed USB controller to interface the hardware board to the PC. The main specifications are:
- 2 analog channels: 10-bit, 250 Msps dual ch. (500 MSps single ch.), 2.0 GSps Equivalent-Time Sampling rate (ETS).
- 12 digital channels (logic analyzer / digital pattern generator)
- 2 analog generators: 12-bit, 200 Msps
- 128 Mega samples buffer size (512 MB DDR3 SDRAM on-board)
- USB 3.1 Gen1 transfer speed (5.0 Gbps)
All hardware settings are controlled via program GUI and transferred to FPGA. Oscilloscope software is designed to run on all major desktop operating systems. New features include:
- Server mode — enables connections to the ScopeFun hardware from remote clients via IP network. Server program handles control requests from remote clients and also transfers samples from Oscilloscope to remote clients
- Python API library — enables communication with the ScopeFun hardware directly from a Python script. With this library it is possible to control oscilloscope hardware and read samples with simple function calls in Python.
ScopeFun authors are currently preparing for a crowdfunding campaign that will help them start with the production of the new hardware version: